Friday, February 20, 2015

Establishment of Lewis Burying Ground: From the Will of Rev. Isaac Lewis, Jr. (Died 1840)



The following is a codicil excerpted from the probate records in Stamford, Connecticut, Volume 16, page 27 from the Will of Rev. Isaac Lewis, Jr., of Greenwich who died in 1840:

Secondly: a small strip of land across the north end of my home lot I appropriate for the purpose of a burial ground for my family and descendants forever; the southern line of said strip of ground commences at the fence on the east thirty-six feet southwardly from the north eastern corner of said house lot and to run in a direct course to a point in the fence which divides said home lot from the highway, fifteen feet southwardly from the northwestern corner of said house lot; And I do hereby give and bequeath said strip of land to my said son Zachariah Lewis, his heirs and assigns forever in trust, for all my children, grandchildren and other descendants forever to use and occupy the same for the purpose of a family burial ground forever and no other purpose whatsoever; And I give and bequeath the same to said Zachariah his heirs and as aforesaid for no other purpose than the above specified; And I do hereby strictly enjoin him and them to devote the said strip of land to no other use or purpose at any time, than that of a family burial ground for me and my descendants as above set forth. And I do hereby declare this to be a codicil to my said last will and testament and to be part and parcel of the same and do hereby confirm said last will and testament subject to the alterations made by this codicil. Witness my hand and seal this 6th day of September A.D. 1837.

Signed, sealed, and published by the 
said Isaac Lewis on the 6th day of 
September A.D. 1837 in the presence of

Samuel Close                                        Isaac Lewis (L. S)
Obadiah Peck
Chas. Hawley







No comments:

Post a Comment