Monday, February 9, 2015

Letters to the Editor: Cleaning Cemeteries (November, 1990)

November 25, 1990
Greenwich Time, Greenwich, Connecticut

To the editor:

As I have in the past this time of year, I thank the volunteers who have given their valuable time and efforts in the preservation of the heritage of Greenwich, particular the neglected burying grounds of the town.

I call special attention to the students of Brunswick School, who took part in this task with successful results. In October middle-schoolers from Brunswick performed preservation tasks at the Peck plot on Round Hill Road near the site of the demolished Gilbert Peck house and the Reynolds plot off Stanwich Road in the northeast section of the town. The boys and faculty members, Mr. Lathrop and Mr. Miller, were wonderful. I am grateful for the time and efforts spent at these sites.

Likewise, the Key Club of Brunswick performed a cleanup at the Old Burying Ground at Clapboard Ridge, a site in dire need of attention and one steeped in history. Though I could not attend, I know from past experience of of the fine work performed by this group in the past. My thanks to Mr. Peter Kashatus for his time and efforts.

To the venerable ladies of Hortulus, I thank you for a timely donation of 200 daffodil bulbs, which were given in honor of Greenwich's 350th year. These were planted at some of the visible graveyards in town. It is a gift that many residents and visitors will enjoy in the years ahead. My thanks go to Mrs. Virginia Horne, whose prompt attention made this gift with her associates possible. Thank you ladies, the town is a better place for your efforts to beautify it.

Lastly I must inform the town that after this year I will no longer be in the business of coordinating the periodic cleanup of Greenwich's neglected cemeteries for the foreseeable future. With a family cemetery association to attend to another matters of priority, I leave this task with some trepidation and regret and hope that will be back at work soon. 

In retrospect I have been enriched beyond my expectations at the spirit of community show by those who participated in this project. Many old historic graveyards were given the attention they needed and deserved. Those who question the priorities of our young people regarding service to this town would have been pleased at the valuable contribution the youth of Greenwich made to this cause- without them it would have been impossible to accomplish our goals, and to you I am grateful. I know from experience that our teens deserve better – they have earned it, far more than some adults I know.

The mission of preserving our cultural heritage is a noble one and, by engaging in it, I have met some of the most extraordinary people who have been enthusiastic supporters of this portion of that mission. Thanks go to interested members of the Historical Society, especially Claire Vanderbilt and William Finch, Jr.; the Board of Selectmen; the Department of Parks and Recreation; our schools; the Boy Scouts and many others. Thanks go to Greenwich Time for publicity on this project and other issues facing the historic preservation of the town.

I call upon the descendants of those buried in our neglected cemeteries to engage yourselves in the care of your ancestral plots; too much work has gone into this to let it go to waste now. Town residents can do much to help as well.

To all of you, my gratitude and thanks for your help and support. 

Jeffrey Bingham Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment