Friday, February 20, 2015

Establishment of Selleck Family Burying Ground (1842) in Round Hill, Greenwich

The Sylvanus Selleck Grist Mill, 1796. The cemetery is located across the street in the woods. 




Deed to the Selleck Family Burying Ground, off Old Mill Road in Round Hill, Greenwich, Connecticut

Sylvanus (Silvanus) Selleck to Children of Sylvanus Selleck:
Greenwich Land Records. Volume 25, Page 47, dated July 7, 1842
Transcribed by Jeffrey Bingham Mead on December 27, 1993.

TO ALL PEOPLE TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS SHALL COME, GREETING:
KNOW YE, THAT Silvanus Selleck of Greenwich in the
State of Connecticut
For the consideration of one dollars
received to my full satisfaction of My Children
Do give, grant, bargain, sell, and confirm unto the said children a certain tract of land lying
in said Greenwich in quantity about one rood, more or lefs, as now is enclosed with a stone wall. Said tract is conveyed for a burying ground
for my children and their heirs forever and no other purpose,
reserving the right for myself to be buried there and the privilege
of passing from the highway to said burying ground by the lane
that we now use forever. Said tract is bounded on all sides by my own land.

To have and to hold the above granted and bargained premises, with the privileges and appurtenances thereof onto them the said children their heirs forever, to them and their own proper use and behoof for a burying ground. And also I just said Sylvanus do, for myself my heirs, executors and administrators, cove-nant with the said children their heirs That at, and until the ensealing these presents I am well seized of the premises, as a good indefeasible estate in fee simple, and have good right to bargain and to sell the same in manner and form as is above written; and that the same is free of all incumbrances whatsoever. And furthermore, I the said Sylvanus Do by these presents bind myself and my heirs forever, to Warrant and Defend the above granted and bargained premises to them the said Children their heirs, against all claims and demands whatsoever.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 7th date of July A.D. 1842.

SIGNED, SEALED, AND DELIVERED IN THE PRESENCE OF
Rebecca R. Close                             Silvanus Selleck (L. S.)
Samuel Close

Fairfield County, ss. Greenwich July 7th A.D. 1842
Personally appeared Silvanus Selleck Signer and Sealer of the foregoing instrument, and acknowledged the same to be his free Act and Deed, before me
Samuel Close   Justice of Peace
Received to record July 7th, 1842 and recorded by
Samuel Close Town Clerk


No comments:

Post a Comment